Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Yes, Please

I'm a harsh critic, but I'm knowing for liking things that I say aren't good. That is exactly what happened here with Amy Poehler's recently released memoirs, Yes Please. This book disappointed me a little bit, but I still enjoyed it. I love Amy Poehler, so I think that may have clouded my judgement. I love her so much, that I completed this in 2 days (on top of class, work, student orgs, sorority, etc). The highlights of this book are when she inserts her honest wisdom, sprinkled with her down to earth humor. Below, are my 2 favorite quotes from the book: 
  • "It's called yes please because it is the constant struggle and often the right answer. Can we figure out what we want, ask for it, and stop talking? Yes please. Is being vulnerable a power position? Yes please. Am I allowed to take up space? Yes please. Do you want to be left alone? Yes please." 
  • "I love saying yes and I love saying please. Saying yes doesn't mean I don't know how to say no, and saying please doesn't mean I am waiting for permission. Yes please sounds powerful and concise. It's a response and a request. It is not about being a good girl; it is about being a real woman." 


No comments :

Post a Comment