Saturday, July 14, 2018

One Week in Europe - Packing Edition

I love packing! Anyone else? I also take pride in packing light, while still having everything that I need. Unfortunately, I was a bit rushed before this trip, and didn't have time to delight in the packing process. Luckily, everything worked out beautifully! So much so, in fact, that I wanted to share it in case anyone else wants to know the secret to packing light but still having everything they need for a week abroad. Interested? Keep reading!



The bags

We packed in backpacks - not because we were "backpacking," but because we were visiting multiple cities and staying in multiple hotels, so we didn't want to roll around a suitcase when traveling between cities and hotels.

I actually loved packing in a backpack, and this one from Eddie Bauer was perfect! I bought this one especially for the occasion because I wanted a top loader, but Chris packed in this one, which he already owned. Fun fact - he's had this backpack for like 5 years now, and it is still going strong!

Additionally, we brought a "stowaway" backpack to use as a day bag and in case we needed an extra bag on the way home. It was perfect because it folded into itself, and it was just small and light to just tuck into one of our bags. We used it as a day bag when we visited an amusement park, but we ended up not needing it on any other days. It was not to have just for sake of peace of mind!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky and outdoor
And here I am toting around the backpack. It was surprisingly comfortable and only made me look 100% like a tourist! Seriously, though, we weren't carrying them around the entire time - only when traveling between cities or hotels. 
How we packed the bags

We used packing cubes. They were a lifesaver, and 100% the only reason that we were able to travel efficiently with our backpacks. Now, we weren't using fancy packing cubes. As pretty and durable as the Eagle Creek ones seemed, we went for the Amazon basics brand, and they worked just fine. I already had a set with multiple sizes, and I knew that I liked the "small" size the best, so we each ordered a set of 4 small cubes. I stacked 3 cubes in my backpack and used the 4th for dirty clothes. 

For beauty and toiletries, I used my tried and true Orla Kiely for Target makeup bags. (Unfortunately, I can't find them on Target's website, but I did find an incredibly similar version from Sonia Kashuk).  They make these sets of 3 that include a small, medium, and large size. I usually use a combination of the sizes when I travel, but this time, I just used 2 large bags. One bag for all was for all makeup and the other included everything for face and hair. 

What we packed 

I created my packing list based off of our itinerary and also the way I was packing (splitting things among 3 packing cubes). 

The first "cube" that I packed contained socks, underwear, and bras. I also included a few camisoles in this cube for good measure. The #1 priority for everything in this cube was COMFORT. If it didn't feel like a dream, I wasn't packing it. Nothing is worse than exploring a new city in socks that don't stay put, a bra that has a pokey underwire, and underwear that ride up in all of the wrong places. My favorites for travel? Underwear designed for active wear like these, bras that hold everything in place without digging in (I'm a big fan of this unlined bra and this tee shirt bra), and no-show socks in neutral colors. I packed way more than necessary in this department - because whose worst nightmare isn't being in a foreign city without comfortable, clean underwear? C'mon! 

The next "cube" that I packed was filled with my day to night dresses and playsuits. I knew that I would spend most days in comfortable dresses (because that's just how I roll), so I started by finding dresses that 1) packed easily (took up little space, didn't wrinkle) and 2) would create a diverse set of looks. Here's a sampling of what I chose - 

Image may contain: Heather Otto, standing, sky, child, shoes and outdoor
A romper with quarter sleeves. Made out of a stretchy jersey material. Had a plunging neckline that I thought would transition well from day to night, so I layered a white cami under it for day time wear. Later, I transitioned this to night by taking off the cami and changing my shoes!
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, sky, outdoor and nature
I know this one is hard to see (and the shadow totally makes it look like I have a basketball in my tummy), but this is one of my favorite easy wearing dresses. It's a Lilly Pulitzer tee shirt dress that packs up small and hardly wrinkles. 
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky and outdoor
This one is less cotton-y more silk-y feeling, but it's that magic fabric that never wrinkles. It's definitely a little bit short, so I just made sure not to lift my arms above my head (just kidding, sort of...) 
In addition to dresses, I strategically chose a few tops and bottoms. These made up packing cube #3. I brought my favorite skinny jeans from Good American, my favorite jean shorts (I bought them from Express yearsss ago), and my favorite "active shorts" from Lilly Pulitzer. I brought simple shirts that I could wear with any of the bottoms. I highly recommend tees from Everlane! Bonus - I threw a night shirt in this cube as well. (Stop your whining - I made sure to get extra clean before putting on the singular night shirt that I brought with me haha). 

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes, tree and outdoor
Denim shorts and a cropped + striped tee. Nothing new, but you can't go wrong

Image may contain: Heather Otto, smiling, standing, stripes, shoes and outdoor
Denim jeans and a cropped + striped tee. See above. ;)
As far as shoes go, you'll see that I'm pretty much only photographed wearing a pair of Birkenstocks or my Reebok cross trainers. I also brought a pair of nice, flat sandals from Tory Burch. I never ended up wearing them. 

In terms of makeup and toiletries, I went light. I figured if there was anything I wanted that I didn't have, I could buy it at a drugstore or department store in Europe. Luckily, I had everything that I needed. 

I knew that I would be doing a minimal makeup look pretty much every day, so I packed what I would need to do that look. For the evenings, I "smoked out my makeup" (as my boyfriend calls it) with some darker eyeshadow, a second coat of mascara, and maybe a touch up on my concealer. Nothing crazy going on here. Below are the products that I brought. I used all of them without wanting or needing to make any additional purchases, so I'd say that I made a good call. 


I'm a bit of a skincare snob, so to pare down my routine this much was a little bit heartbreaking. That being said, I knew I was packing light and happy to take the challenge. Essentially, I kept only the few products that I knew would keep my skin sane. I went with a basic serum to avoid any breakouts, a lightweight moisturizer for day or night, a super hydrating mask, and that's it! I also brought a sea salt spray in case my hair was extra frizzy. Finally, I chose a lip balm that could be used lightly as a balm during the day or heavily as a balm at night. In case you're wondering - I didn't forget shampoo and conditioner! My hair is pretty tough and can survive a week on random hotel products. Below are the products that I brought. Again - I used all of them, and I didn't need to buy anything, so I'd call this a success. 


Extras

Of course, I brought my phone charger, Apple watch charger, and Kindle charger. I wrapped those up in binder clips and put them in a side pocket of my backpack. I also kept my converters here.The top pocket of my backpack (which had a super handy double zip for security) contained my passport, phone, wallet, and medications. I also was able to keep a few "luxury" extras here like an eye mask for the plane and an extra lip balm. In the front pocket of my backpack, I kept other items that I needed quick access to in the airport and on the plane - headphones, Kindle, tiny notebook (shoutout to Field Notes - I love those notebooks!), and 2 extra pens. 

I hope that this was helpful for you while planning a trip or just gathering ideas for your next excursion. Did I forget anything that is a holy grail on your packing list? Did I pack anything that you consider "extra?" Let me know what you think down below! 

No comments :

Post a Comment